Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February Book #9

Book: Princess of the Wild Swans by Diane Zahler
Age-range: 8 and up

This book is based on one of my favorite fairy tales known as The Wild Swans, The Seven Swans, or The Six Swans (among other names). It's the story of a princess whose brothers (in this case five of them) are turned into swans by their evil step-mother. The princess, of course, is the only one who can break the spell.

I'll admit I was a little wary when I saw how thin this book was. This is a large story and I didn't see how someone could do it justice in such a small number of pages. Turns out I was wrong (which we all know never happens). Ms. Zahler did a excellent job making this tale accessible to the middle-grade audience she was aiming for. It was beautifully written and an excellent introduction to the tale for young kids. This is, so far, my favorite of her books.

Happy reading!

No comments: