Saturday, February 25, 2012

February Book #8

Book: The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
Age-range: 12 and up

My friend Jenel recommended this book to me and I'm so glad that she did. It was really good. Every book I've read by Mr. Pratchett has been funny, thought-provoking and well done. This one was no exception. Though the protagonist is a 9-year-old girl, this still feels like an adult novel to me. Not to say a younger person wouldn't enjoy it, and I can't exactly put my finger on WHY I feel that way, but there you go.

There were a lot of things in this book that I thought would bother me. The Wee Free Men of the title are little 6-inch tall pictsies and speak with a thick Scottish accent, spelled out in the text. This normally bothers me to no end, but here it seemed charming. There were also several times when I had no idea what time-frame we were in. Was this the far past or the present? Again, it didn't bother me except in passing.

I would definitely recommend this book if you're looking for a fun, funny read.

Happy reading!

No comments: