Monday, February 20, 2012

February Book #7

Book: Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn
Age-range: 12 and up

This is a science fiction re-telling of Jane Eyre. It seems that I often go on kicks where I read re-tellings of the same tale for a period of time. In December it was The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Apparently right now it's Jane Eyre.

I found this book intriguing. I've been working on my own science fiction novel (my first foray into the genre) and  reading this book helped me see what I like and dislike about the genre in general. By and large I adored this book, my only real complaint was the speech patterns the author chose to use. Everyone spoke as if this were set in the late 1800s instead of in the future. It was a small thing, but it pulled me out of the story a few times.

Once again, the plot will be no surprise if you've read the original, but there are twists and turns that surprised me along the way. All in all an excellent book.

Happy reading!

No comments: