Friday, February 10, 2012

February Book #3

Book: Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier
Age-range: 12 and up

While the companion novel to this book is a fairy-tale re-telling, this one is an independent story of its own and, at times, I think it's a better story for it. The characters are likable (although the protagonist in this one and in Wildwood Dancing are practically interchangeable), the plot moves quickly and the setting is lush. I find that I love stories about sea journeys and I adore love stories where things are anything but assured, hearts are broken and I end up in tears.

Chris came in and I was bawling while reading the last few chapters and he just shook his head and laughed. It wasn't the first time and it won't be the last. I can only hope that I can infuse my own writing with as much emotion as Ms. Marillier manages to do in every one of hers.

Happy reading!

No comments: