Monday, March 15, 2010

Book Review #19

Book: Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George
Age-range: 10 and up (younger with mama's permission)
Recommended: Yes

This is a re-telling of the tale East o' the Sun, West o' the Moon.  I've read another re-telling of this tale (Edith Patou's East), but this was much better.

This is the story of a youngest daughter who's picked on (I can completely relate).  She's so unloved that she's never even given a name!  The person who loves her most in the world is her brother Hans Peter, who is haunted by an event in his past that he won't talk about.

It's well-written, beautiful prose, and if the characters are not as fleshed out as I would have liked, I didn't notice until the book was finished.  So, if you get the chance, and want something that will only take a day or two to read, pick this one up.

1 comment:

Cari said...

Have you read Freckles and Girl of the Limberlost? if not, I really want you to. The second is my favorite book of all time.