Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Book Review #16

Book: If You Want to Write by Brenda Ueland
Age-range: 15 and up
Recommended: Yes

This book is excellent.  It changed the way I write, not only that, it changed the way I read.  That is one of the reasons I am no longer going to rate books.  Instead I'm going to say whether I would recommend the book or not. That seems more fair and more accurate, so there you have it.

There were whole sections of this book that were so thick I had to sludge my way through them, but it's surprisingly pertinent for a book written in the 1930s.  She's honest and doesn't shy away from applying religion to her writing, the way most writers would be now.  For instance, she believes that inspiration is the Holy Ghost, something I've always firmly believed in.

As far as actual suggestions of how to write, there aren't many, but it gives you confidence in your writing ability, which is something every writer needs to have.  You can't write when you're afraid of making it perfect, and this book helps you get over that.

So if you're a writer, or want to be a writer, go to the library and check this book out.  It might give you that boost you need to finish one more book, one more story, one more page.

No comments: