Saturday, June 16, 2012

June Book #6

Book: Fire by Kristin Cashore
Age-range: 16 and up

This is a companion novel to Graceling, although only loosely related in any significant way. Once again I have to agree with my friend Jenel when I say that while this book was really good it was not as good as Graceling. I didn't feel compelled to read this one as fast as possible, I stopped and started it a couple of times while reading other things in between.

Please note the next part has little to do with the book being "reviewed."
I've been noticing a trend lately, so please excuse me while I climb onto my soapbox.
*ahem*
When a writer writes their first novel it's a long process. A debut novel may have been worked on for years and years and years, until it was the most perfect thing the writer could make it. Second novels, especially those in a series, must be written faster with less time for perfection. So while writing usually improves with each book I feel that sometimes editing falls by the wayside. There are entire chunks in second (or third, or fourth) books that could be cut and no one would miss them. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 4 authors who fall under this category. I hope I will never be one of them!
End of rant.

So, Fire was really good, but there were sections that were kind of boring. I really did love seeing a different part of the world that Ms. Cashore has made, however. And I can't wait until I get the chance to read the next book in the series.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you read Snow White Blood Red by Cameron Jace , it's retelling from the Queen's POV
I would like to know your opinion about it :)

pambelina said...

Of course! I will put it on my TBR list right now.