Saturday, May 5, 2012

Thank You to Virginia Woolf

Dear Ms. Woolf,

It wasn't until college that I first learned about you. I was an 18-year-old girl trying to find my purpose. When I learned about you, your books, your life, and your death I was intrigued. I began learning all I could about you.

Fast forward to a few years later. I'm at university, married, and I've changed my major from Theatre to English. One of the required classes for my major (taught by the incomparable Francois Camoin) discussed your book To the Lighthouse. I'd never read it before. I have since read it many times. With the help of my professor, I found depth and meaning in your books in ways I had never experienced before. I understood your wit, appreciated the way your writing changed the trajectory of writing ever after.

Thank you for your writing. I wish you could have known how much you would inspire women writers all over the world.

Best wishes,
Pam

No comments: