Friday, May 4, 2012

May Book #1

Book: Emma by Jane Austen
Age-range: 12 and up
As good as the first time?: No, not even close

I first read Emma when I was in high school and I LOVED it! It was my absolute most favorite Austen book of all time ever until the end of the world. The last time I read it, however, was about 5 years ago. I've had such a hard time finding good books lately, so I decided to re-read some old favorites. I began with Emma.

Was it always this boring? So Emma is divided into 4 books: The first book is soooo boring. The second book is good. The third book is soooo boring. The fourth book is good. There were entire pages I skipped over. Every time Miss Bates spoke I had to skip it. Knightley was not in it nearly as much as I remembered. There were huge passages where she just told what was going on instead of putting it in dialogue or action. This was my favorite book?

What was I thinking?

So now I have to re-read all of Austen's books to re-determine my favorite one. What's your favorite Austen novel?

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

Northanger Abbey. I reread it a lot, so I know it is still true.

Just Julie said...

I really like Persuasion and Captain Wentworth.