Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Thank You to Baroness Orczy

Dear Baroness Orczy,

When I was a junior in high school my English teacher, Mrs. Brandt, showed us the A&E movie version of The Scarlet Pimpernel. I was smitten immediately. I went immediately to the small library in Manti, Utah and checked out a very battered paperback version of your book. I don't remember much about that first reading experience, just that I was so caught up in what was going on in the book I can't even remember where I was sitting as I read it. It didn't take me long to finish it.

I would not be overstating it to say that book changed my life.

I've re-read it at least once every year since then. I recommend it to anyone who will listen. When I'm blocked in my own writing I will pull out my beautiful library bound copy and let it fall open to the most-read part of the book. The chapter entitled Richmond. I read it again and get so caught up in your beautiful words that it helps inspire my own.

I want to thank you for turning a small, quickly-produced play into one of my favorite books of all time. My life would not be the same without Marguerite and Percy in it.

Best wishes,
Pam

No comments: