Saturday, May 19, 2012

Thank You to Sylvia Plath

Dear Ms. Plath,

I first read your book The Bell Jar when I was in high school. I had been having my own struggle with depression and I'm still not sure whether your book helped or made it worse. All I know is it became embedded in the fabric of who I am and I still carry passages from it within me.

After reading your novel I discovered your poetry and other writings. Then I became intrigued by your life. It always makes me sad to think about how much you must have been suffering to kill yourself even when you had children. I look at my boys and I know I could never leave them in such a way.

So much of what you wrote has a sense of humor, yet you're mostly known for your depression. I wonder if that bothers you or if you're able to accept it. I know that, for me, your writing has meant a lot and I know, and admire you, for more than just your suicide.

Best wishes,
Pam

No comments: