Friday, September 2, 2011

September Book #1

Book: A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
Age-range: 13 and up

This book is bloody and gory and grim (get it?). Okay, so it's not THAT gory, but it definitely keeps all the bits and pieces about severed limbs, etc. in the story that were in the original tales. What I really loved about this book is the fact that Mr. Gidwitz took several obscure tales and wove them all into the story of Hansel and Gretel. Genius!

There are author asides throughout the book just like in The Princess Bride. They definitely add to the charm of the book. It's nice to know that he doesn't take his interpretation of the tales (or himself) too seriously. If you have young ones who are interested in fairy tales this is a great one for boys or girls. I would suggest, however, that you read it first and see if it's too much. If you're an adult then there's nothing that should stop you!

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Cari said...

Some of these books are harder to find here, but since you've completely corrupted my daughter and she will only read fairy tales now we are thinking of getting her a Nook. Then she will be able to get them immediately! I love reading your reviews!

pambelina said...

I'm so happy my Carlye loves fairy tales as much as her Aunt Pammy. Let me know if she wants any books from Utah authors; I can probably get her a signed copy from King's English! (Jessica Day George is a YA fairy tale author who's local.)