Tuesday, June 14, 2011

June Book Review #1

Book: A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff
Age-range: 15 and up

I found this book at Costco and bought it on a whim. The cover was so luscious and the premise sounded interesting, not to mention I love vintage clothing! And the clothing definitely takes center stage in this book. If you don't know a lot about vintage and antique clothes then some of the descriptions and designers might not mean much to you, but if you even have a cursory knowledge of vintage then you'll love them!

There are two different story-lines in this book. One is the "real" story that's touted on the back of the book and the other is a relationship story-line. The relationship story didn't do much for me, but the other part was fascinating. Through a series of events two women are brought together, one who just lost a friend and one who is about to die. The older woman tells Phoebe (the main character) about life for her in France during World War II. It was so good it made me cry! (Of course I'd just had a baby, so that might have had something to do with it too.

All in all this was a nice read, but I not one that I would necessarily recommend with giggles and excitement. Her writing was amazing, however, so I'll definitely check out some of her other titles.

Happy reading!

No comments: