Sunday, July 11, 2010

July Book Review #4

Book: Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Age-range: 16 and up
Recommended: Yes

You know the movie "Practical Magic" and how it was really good?  Well, did you ever try to read the book?  I did, but I never finished it.  That should tell you something.

Garden Spells is everything I hoped the book Practical Magic would be.  It's about two sisters who have certain talents (the author never uses the words magic or witchcraft).  One is wild and the other is stuck in her ways at home and afraid of love.

This book is beautifully written and incredibly intriguing.  I loved the fact that every family in the small town had certain things they were known for.  It was an exaggerated example of real-life small towns.

In short, I loved this book and if you have an interest in fantastic-realistic fiction then this is a book for you.  (I really think you'd like it, Hayden.)

1 comment:

Grandma Bailey said...

I tried to read Practical Magic too. That was one time when the movie was better than the book. I like you never finished it. I look forward to this one.