Sunday, July 25, 2010

July Book Review #10

Book: Beastly by Alex Flinn
Age-range: 16 and up
Recommended: Yes

This is a book that's been on my radar for a long time, but I never took the time to read before now.  It's also my first foray with this particular writer of fairy tales.  I have to admit I was very happy with both the book and the author.  I also have to admit that I checked this book out from the library because I was intrigued by the trailer for the movie that's supposed to come out at the end of this month.  Lame, I know, but that's sometimes how it happens.

This is a modern telling of "Beauty and the Beast" with all of the tropes you've come to expect from that particular story.  With some twists, of course.  Most of the twists are predictable, however, and the story feels more like returning to an old friend than going on a new adventure, but it was written beautifully.  So beautifully that I cried at the end.

If that doesn't convince you to read it, I don't know what will.

No comments: