Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July Book Review #3

Book: Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
Age-range: 16 and up
As good as the first time?: Yes
Recommended: Yes

If you were to ask a group of writers what the best book ever written on writing is I can guarantee this book would make the top five.  It's excellent and amazing.  I decided to read it again because almost all of the books on writing I've read recently mentioned Bird by Bird as a necessary book for writers to read.

I gleaned so much great information from reading this a second time.  The first time I read it I was just beginning as a writer.  I was finally beginning to take my writing seriously.  This time I've been writing for a few years now and feel that I have a pretty good sense of what kind of writer I am.

Anne Lamott uses humor, anecdotes, some profanity, and a lot of personal experience to to share everything she knows about writing (or did when she wrote the book).  It's not your typical book on writing, but sometimes that's exactly what you need.

No comments: