Sunday, May 9, 2010

May Book Review #4

Book: The Folk Keeper by Franny Billingsley
Age-range: 8 and up
Recommended: Yes

I knew nothing about this book when I checked it out from the library yesterday afternoon.  All I knew was that somewhere along the way I had written it down on my to-be-read list.  So I picked it up.  It's an amazingly fast read with a full story.  It also reminds me of some folktale or fairy tale I've read before, but I can't place the actual name of it.  If, after reading this book, you know what it is then please put my mind to rest and tell me.

Corinna is a Folk Keeper, a responsibility that requires her to keep all the "Folk" (who seem to me to be close to demons or malicious sprites, or something) who live in a certain area happy.  She does an extremely good job and the book is her journal of what happens on certain days.  I will be the first to admit that diary- or letter-formatted books usually irritate me, but this one is very well done.  Corinna documents her move from a house to a large island where the Folk are more malicious and evil than any she's come across before.

It has everything: a mysterious former lady of the house, a sweet red-headed sailor, a calculating and cruel man who is not set to inherit, Sealmaidens, storms, death, and, most importantly, love.

The story is interesting and moves quickly from beginning to end.  It's definitely something I would recommend to anyone with the slightest interest in folk or fairy tales.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

um, what is a "sealmaiden"?

pambelina said...

It's a myth/tale about seals who shed their skin on land and become women. As long as their skin remains in tact and safe they can return to the sea, but if you destroy it they are trapped on land.