Saturday, April 10, 2010

April Review #3

Book: The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo
Age-range: 0 and up
Recommended: Yes
As good as the first time?: Yes

This is one of the most beautiful original fairy tales I've ever read.  It tells the story of a mouse named Despereaux, a rat named Roscuro, a princess named Pea, and a nearly-deaf girl named Miggery Sow.  The story is told in 4 books.

I hope that you'll indulge me as I tell you how I chanced upon this beautiful book.  It was six or seven years ago and I was on-campus.  My class had been cancelled and it was 2 hours until my next one.  Too much time to do nothing, not enough time to be worth going home.  So I walked down to the bookstore.  After perusing the stacks there, on the sale table, was a little maroon book with a pencil-drawing of a mouse on the cover.  I bought it without looking much past that.  I went and sat by some big bay windows in a comfy chair and read.  And read.  And read.  I missed my class, finished the book, and fell in love with that little big-eared mouse.

Now I know that the writing style is not to the liking of some people, but it lends itself beautifully to being read aloud.  So find someone to read it to, or barring that, find yourself a quiet corner and whisper the words to yourself.  Stories, as the book says, are light.

Go shine some light.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

We love the book. However, the movie did not do it justice.

Cari said...

I agree - my kids actually didn't like the movie AT ALL, but Carlye did enjoy reading the book. Of course, my older two both liked Edward Tulane, too.