Tuesday, April 20, 2010

April Book Review #4

Book: The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
Age-range: 13 and up
Recommended: Yes
As good as the first time?: Yes

I don't remember when I first read this book, but it's stuck with me.  It's over 20 years old, but it still reads like it could be today (aside from a few pop-culture references from the 80s).  It's an amazing story about family and what constitutes a family, about illegal immigrants and about abuse.  When you take most of the subject matter individually it sounds depressing, but it really isn't.

The book is about a southern girl, and the voice is perfect.  In the first chapter it's a very thick accent, but it fades as the book goes on so it never gets irritating or overbearing.  She moves from Kentucky across the country to Arizona, with a stop-off in Oklahoma on the way.  While she's in Oklahoma she acquires a baby girl.  In Arizona she meets a lot of colorful, wonderful people.

This book is sort of hard to explain, but it's beautiful and amazing and it makes you see things a little differently.  A definite must-read.

3 comments:

Grandma Bailey said...

You're right - "The Bean Tree" has to be read to be understood. In fact I would almost say the "The Bean Tree" is a reading experience. It isn't my most favorite book but it is a book I am very grateful I read.

Cari said...

Okay - but you still haven't answered me - have you read Girl of the Limblerost???

pambelina said...

Nope.