Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Book Review #3

Book: The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Age-range: 16 and up
Rating: 5 out of 10

Okay, this book was recommended to me by about half a dozen people whose taste I value, writing I adore, and opinions are well-founded.  I read it and really really wanted to love it.  I kept reading, even when I had gone past my page limit waiting for it to be interesting.  It IS interesting, but it could have been just as powerful (if not moreso) as a short story.

This is a story about a man and his son trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.  You never really learn what exactly happened to the earth, just that it happened.  There were parts of this book that broke my heart and brought me to tears.  That is this book described in one word: heartbreaking.

So why did I only give it 5 out of 10?  Because it's repetitious and ultimately unsatisfying.  Perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mine to fully appreciate it, but this is my book review, not yours.  If you've read this book please share your experience with it so that everyone can know that mine isn't the only opinion out there.

No comments: