Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September Book #1

Book: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Age-range: 16 and up
Recommended: Yes, with reservations

Let me start by saying that the first half of this book was a total snooze-fest.  If I hadn't read the first book, and already bought the third book, I would have put it down.  She re-iterates all this stuff that happens in the first book, but it's lost all it's punch and emotional power because she's just TELLING us about it.  And the lead character, Katniss, is a total bawl-baby-titty-mouse.

But after the first 100 pages or so it gets good.  And I'm glad I read it, but I only recommend reading it if you're invested in the trilogy.  If you're on the fence I would say skip it and find something better written.

1 comment:

Grandma Bailey said...

I agree with you. The sad thing is that I have spoken with 3 people that have read Mockinjay and they say it is worse and not worth reading. So I am waiting on the library list for it and will make up my own mind.