Friday, February 26, 2010

Book Review #14

Book: Midnight Pearls by Debbe Viguie
Age-range: 8 and up
Rating: 5 out of 10

Yet another book in the Once Upon a Time series.  I kow what you're thinking, "Does she read anything else?"  Not lately, no.  Because I can finish these books in one day during my son's naps it makes for an easy read.  I promsie I'll mix it up a little bit in the future, however.

This particular book is a re-telling of The Little Mermaid.  It's not great.  There was a lot I didn't like about it, especially since the book began by setting up a love story that never came to fruition.  The two main characters were suddenly thrown into other romances that were supposedly their true loves, but I didn't ever feel the connection between the other characters that they'd had with each other.

Once again the ending came too quickly and too easily for me.  I wanted there to be more of a fight, a difficult battle, but Ms. Viguie seems afraid to put her characters in any sort of serious danger.  Something every writer needs to get over if you want to have a book be intriguing.

Anyway, if you want to read a re-telling of The Little Mermaid, this one is not the book for you.

No comments: