Thursday, February 18, 2010

Book Review #11

Book: The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison
Age: 10 and up (younger with mom's permission)
Rating: 9 out of 10

This is the second book by Ms. Harrison that I've read and I'm excited to read more, including the sequel to this book.  Her writing style is easy to read and enjoyable.  This book is more complex than I can really explain, but let me just say that it's supposedly pegged as a Beauty and the Beast re-telling, but not by the author.  In this case the "beast" is the woman, but I don't feel that is an accurate portrayal of the story in any way.

Prince George has animal magic, as his mother did, as her father did.  (This seems to be similar to Shannon Hale's concept of animal-speaking in her Bayern series.)  Animal magic is feared and those who have it are usually burned, not by the king, but by his subjects.  George's story is sympathetic and often heartbreaking, but enjoyable to read.  I'll be honest, I rarely read stories with a male protaganist or a male point-of-view, but this was excellent.  I absolutely recommend it, although I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Mira, Mirror.

No comments: