Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Book Review #13

Book: Water Song by Suzanne Weyn
Age: 10 and up
Rating: 9 out of 10

Yes, I read two Suzanne Weyn books in a row!  This is another book in the Once Upon a Time series (I'm working my way right through them).  This is a re-telling of The Frog Prince.  I was a little skeptical when I saw this was set in Belgium during World War I.  How could she possibly make the frog believable in that modern setting?  Well, ladies and... ladies, she did it beautifully!

Emma is a British rich girl who is literally stuck in Belgium on the front line of the war.  Jack is an American from New Orleans who enlisted in the British army.  He's also the frog prince.  You'll have to read the book to figure out how that works, I'm not telling.  It's very clever though.

There were a lot of good scenes and beautiful moments in this book.  Again, I wish it were longer and a few parts were expanded more, but I think that's a failing on the part of the publisher, not the writers in this series. It's definitely one of my favorite re-tellings of this particular tale.

No comments: