Sunday, August 19, 2012

August Book #5

Book: The Crimson Thread by Suzanne Weyn
Age-range: 10 and up

This was our book for book club this month. It's a re-telling of Rumpelstiltskin set in the late 1800s in the United States. The female protagonist and her family immigrate from Ireland to make a new life for themselves.

I felt that the historical background was a great way to re-tell this story. As I've complained about other books in the Once Upon a Time series, this one seemed to end suddenly and gloss over a lot of things that could have been really great to flesh out. All in all, it was pretty good.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Just Julie said...

I agree. A lot of social issues of the time were glossed over, but I guess that wasn't the focus of the book and/or wouldn't make it overly appealing to a YA base. But a nice read.

Oh, and when I first came across "George Rumpole" I knew he had to be involved in the end somehow!

pambelina said...

Me too, Julie!