Wednesday, August 24, 2011

August Book #1

Book: Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater
Age-range: 14 and up

This is one of those books that has been on my to-read list pretty much since it came out. I just now had the opportunity and the time to read it and I'm glad that I did. There was a lot of fairy lore in this book that I hadn't heard of before. I'm not sure if that's because the author made it up or because it was out of my realm of research. Either way I really loved it and found it interesting.

I always like when modern fairies stay true to the way they were viewed in, say, Shakespeare's day. They aren't sweet, wish-granting women; they're vindictive, spiteful, trouble-makers.

And, I hope I won't spoil anything by saying this, but I really love realistic endings. This book didn't try to make sure that everyone got everything that they needed/deserved. Instead it ended the way it was supposed to end. I liked that.

Also, I think there's a lesson to be learned from the female protagonist. In the book she realizes that if she just believes she can do something she can. I think that's true 90% of the time in the real world. Confidence goes a long way to encouraging talent.

Happy reading!

No comments: