Monday, July 18, 2011

July Book Review #3

Book: The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester
Age-range: 10 and up

My sister Heidi gave this book to me for my birthday. After reading the title my first thought was of the very cheesy movie The Boy Who Could Fly. Lucky for me (and Heidi) this book was WAY better.

This is the story of a girl, Piper McCloud, who just can't help but float when she's happy. Over time her floating turns to flying and her parents, who desperately cling to normalcy, try their best to stop it. After an all-too-public display of her abilities Piper is sent to a government facility. I won't say much more, I don't want to spoil the story.

What I liked: There was a lot of great imagery; the characters all had distinct personalities and voices; it was easy to get into and keep reading.

What I disliked: The names made me groan more than once (Piper McCloud; Bella Lovely; Ms. Hellion), they sort of gave themselves away most of the time and it felt a little like Ms. Forester was trying too hard to make the names be clever. I am also really sensitive to animal abuse and there were a few instances when I had to put the book down because of it.

All in all it was a great read, good for a boy or girl who likes adventures (and no romance). Happy reading!

2 comments:

Cari said...

Hey, The Boy Who Could Fly was NOT cheesy.

It's a classic. I truly worry about your taste in movies............ :)

Heidi Noel said...

Marcus is reading the 7th Harry Potter before he goes back to this one. I know that it is not great (the names bugged me too) I had to settle after my other 3 choices were taken. But, it was good for what it was. Glad you finally felt like reading it. (No sarcasm intended, honestly.)