Monday, August 23, 2010

August Book #5

Book: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Age-range: 13 and up
Recommended: Yes

I'm not big on werewolf books, but this was an exception.  It's not so much about werewolves, in my mind, as it is a great story of a first love.  Ms. Steifvater does an amazing job of remaining true to the emotions a teenager feels as they fall in love for the first time.  There are a lot of great moments and good descriptions.  I got really swept up in the emotions.

The story is written from two perspectives: Sam's and Grace's.  I prefer Sam's voice over Grace's, but mostly because I think Grace is boring and a little dumb.  But that might just be me.  I couldn't really relate to her at all, but I found a lot of common ground with Sam.  Anyway, it was a good book, whether you like werewolves or not.

No comments: