Sunday, June 13, 2010

June Book Review #2

Book: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Age-range: 13 and up
Recommended: Yes

As a writer of young adult fiction it's an enormous travesty that I have never read this book before.  My friend told me this book was one of the reasons he became an author and I couldn't put off reading it anymore.  I read it and I loved it.

It's sad, so terribly sad, but so beautiful and poignant and... you just have to read it.  It's the first book of it's kind and what makes it even more amazing to me is that it's written by a woman.  The cast of characters is almost exclusively male, but she writes them so realistically.  It's a definite must-read.

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

I still need to read this. It is on my to read list. I get scared to borrow Andy's books for whatever reason and put it off, so we will see how long it takes...